Saturday, March 21, 2009

Second Consultation

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It has been 3 months since I have met with the orthodontist. During this time I have had dental work completed...I replaced three crowns.

Today is the day I make my commitment to Invisalign. I have about 2-1/2 hours ahead of me this morning. First on the agenda was the diagnostics...taking the pictures. (I can hear you chuckling Julie.)

View of the right side...note overbite


View of the left side...note overbite

View of the inside top teeth...

View of the inside bottom teeth...

Side view...you can really see the overbite...

After the diagnostics I met with the orthodontist. He looked at my pictures and again discussed my treatment plan. I was informed that I would need to use rubber bands for most of my treatment. Rubber bands will help the "overjet" (overbite). Not sure how the rubber bands will work but I am sure I will find out. I was told treatment will be about 18 months...let's see, hmmmmm, that means I will be 59-1/2 years old when I am done with treatment. Oh well! Time will go fast???

My next step was to meet with the Finance Coordinator to discuss the financial options and/or make payment. That meeting took a total of ten minutes...she also showed me pictures of how my mouth would look with rubber bands connected to the Invisaligns.

My next step was to meet the Chairside Assistant...Brenda. I was so happy to see that I knew Brenda...made me feel a bit more comfortable. While waiting for the doctor, sitting in the chair, I looked around and saw all the "little children" waiting to see the orthodontist...if they only new.

The doctor shaved the sides of my front top and bottom teeth...it is called interproximal reduction. Interproximal reduction (also termed "tooth stripping" or "interdental reduction") refers to a procedure where a dentist trims away a portion of the thickness a tooth's enamel in that region where (in normal alignment) the tooth touches against the sides of its neighboring teeth. Teeth reduction is done now in place of pulling teeth to add space between the teeth.

Here is some information to the procedure...A dentist can perform interproximal reduction by hand (using flexible diamond-coated strips that are worked back and forth between your teeth) or else using a dental drill. The method that they utilize will probably be selected according to how much stripping is required. If just a small amount is needed (.3mm or less) the by-hand method is usually chosen because it gives the dentist greater control over the amount of enamel that is removed. For larger amounts of reduction, a dentist will usually use a dental drill to perform the stripping.

With which ever method the dentist does choose, during the reduction process they will intermittently fit a small thickness gauge of known width into the gap they are creating so to measure it. Once they have widened the gap to an appropriate size, the amount of reduction that has been performed on each tooth will be documented in your dental chart. Any future stripping that is performed will also be documented so no tooth has too much enamel removed.

Here is a picture of what the little tool looks and and how it is done...it is a little silver strip and feels like sand paper...procedure is painless!


This is the web address if you would like further information regarding interproximal reduction... http://www.animated-teeth.com/dental-braces/a-interproximal-reduction-stripping.htm

The last part of my appointment was the dreaded cast of my teeth. The technician put a greenish jell on a tray that the top teeth fit in...wait 3 minutes...not bad. Again she put the greenish jell on a tray that the bottom teeth fit in...wait 3 minutes...didn't set properly...redo. And again she put the greenish jell on a tray that the bottom teeth fit in...wait 3 minutes...done! Actually, this wasn't bad at all.

My next appointment will be in six weeks at this time I will be fitted with my Invisalign trays.

Update on Julie...Julie found out that she will be completing her treatment in May...earlier than expected. She began treatment in August of 2008 and will complete treatment in May 2009...10 months. Her teeth look so nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment